Tuesday’s Training Camp Update
The action at training camp is definitely heating up as the team is now one week away from their first of two preseason games against the Bobcats.
Today was the first practice for Vladimir Radmanovic with the Hawks. Vladi did not play overseas during the offseason, so he hasn’t seen any game action since the Warriors wrapped up their regular season last April. He also did not play much pick up over the past few months, opting instead to work out with a personal coach in Serbia. It may take a week or so for Radmanovic to get his basketball legs under him, but Coach Drew was immediately impressed with what he saw on the court.
“I really like what I see,” Drew said. “Every shot he takes, it looks like it is going to go in. He’s got a really good stroke from the perimeter and its just a matter of him getting acclimated to what we do. He’s trying to learn a couple of positions and you can tell he’s doing a lot of thinking.”
Radmanovic agreed that he is taking in a lot at once considering he didn’t arrive in camp until Day 4, but he is going to take some extra steps to get caught up.
“It’s all about figuring out the offense and defensive principles,” Vladi commented after Tuesday’s morning session. “I’ll try to come in early and workout with some of the rookies and try to pick it up as soon as I can because we don’t have much time.”
HERE AND THERE…
- Kirk Hinrich, who is rehabbing his shoulder after having surgery this fall, was seen participating in shooting drills today after practice.
- Pape Sy has been ten times more assertive in his second training camp then he was last season as a rookie.
“Yeah, I feel comfortable,” Pape said at Monday’s Media Day. “I’m glad to be back here. I feel like I’m learning really fast now. Actually ready to be on the court to try and help the team and try and win games. I’m feeling really ready this year and I’m ready to play.”
With Hinrich out, Pape has been running point for the second unit. His size, athleticism and speed give Coach Drew a different look at the position.
- Joe and Al looked especially sharp in today’s scrimmage.
- Jerry Stackhouse continues to shoot well in camp, knocking down a pair of mid-range jumpers in the scrimmage.
- Tracy McGrady did not participate in the early session on Tuesday.