Game 2 Game Notes
– The Hawks let an 11-point second half lead get away, falling to Boston 87-80 at Philips Arena on Tuesday.
– Joe Johnson led the Hawks with 22 points, Jeff Teague put in 18 and Josh Smith tallied 16 points and 12 rebounds before leaving the game late with a sprained left knee.
– A back-and-forth opening quarter, featuring 6 ties and 5 lead changes, ended with the teams deadlocked at 24.
– Both clubs struggled shooting in the first half but it was Atlanta taking a 44-41 advantage to the break … Paul Pierce had 16 points for Boston in the first 24 minutes, while Teague put in 12 for the Hawks.
– The Hawks led by as many as 11 in the third but the Celtics were able to trim it to 66-61 heading to the final frame … Boston reclaimed the lead at 72-70 with 6 minutes to play in the game and slowly pulled away as the offense abandoned Atlanta in the fourth (14 points).
– The Hawks shot .349 from the field for the game and made 16-20 FTs, while the Celtics shot .426 and hit 26-31 from the charity stripe.
– Pierce posted game-highs of 36 points and 14 rebounds, and Kevin Garnett had 15 points and 12 boards.
– Game 3 is set for 7:30pm Friday at Boston (SportSouth HD, ESPN, 98.9 FM).