Postgame Thoughts: Hawks vs. Nuggets
What a thrilling way to celebrate Josh Smith‘s 27th birthday! All Smoove wanted for his bday was a victory, and the Hawks made his wish come true with a 108-104 win over the visiting Nuggets.
– I would pay money to see the Hawks and Nuggets play any time. Both teams love to get up and down the court, both have tremendous depth, and both have players who can absolutely destroy the rim when given the chance.
– The biggest contributor to Josh’s bday present? Al Horford. Boss had a huge night, putting up 25 points, 12 rebounds (6 offensive), 4 assists, 4 steals, and a blocked shot. Hope you have Al on your fantasy team, that’s all I can say.
– Josh got off to a slow start, but picked up his game in the second half and put down the basket of the night, a huge breakaway slam (plus the foul) off a Nuggets turnover with 31.7 seconds left that stretched the lead to 5 at 106-101. The play brought the house down, and gave the Hawks the cushion they needed against a very dangerous Nuggets bunch.
– How smooth is Lou Williams? And how nice is he to have when you need FTs at the end of a game? LouWillVille hit four big ones in the final minute, part of his 16-point, 6 assist night off the bench.
– Larry Drew said the team needed to refocus on rebounding the basketball after the loss to Cleveland last Friday, and that’s exactly what his team did. Atlanta outrebounded Denver 47-40 despite a pretty distinct height disadvantage. 19 of the 47 boards were offensive, which helped the team to 16 more shots on the night than their opponents.
What’d you think?