Postgame Thoughts: Hawks Complete Comeback to Top Jazz
A few thoughts on the Hawks’ much-needed 103-95 come-from-behind win over the Jazz Friday night at Philips Arena:
– For nearly 3 quarters Friday night, the Hawks recent woes seemed certain to continue. The defense could do nothing to stop Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson, and the offense couldn’t get untracked. Then with 1:35 to play in the third and the Hawks trailing 75-60, John Jenkins hit a deep three. From that spark, a blaze was ignited, and Atlanta outscored Utah 43-20 to finish the game and get a much-needed home win.
– Give it up for Devin Harris, who scored a season-high 24 points against the team that dealt him to Atlanta in the offseason for Marvin Williams. Harris played with determination and energy all night long, and basically couldn’t miss as he shot 7-8 from the field. Though he was hot from the perimeter (4-5 from deep), it was his ability to push the attack in the fourth quarter that really pushed the team into high gear.
– The bench was outstanding tonight. Larry Drew often plays his bench extended minutes when facing a back-to-back, but tonight it felt like those minutes were earned due to performance rather than circumstance. Ivan Johnson, Zaza Pachulia, and Lou Williams combined for 39 off the bench, and each made big plays in the fourth quarter as the Hawks rallied and took the lead.
– Officially the Hawks ended the night with only 5 blocks, but they seemed to alter or flat-out reject every shot the Jazz took as the game drew towards its conclusion. The defense really stepped up in the fourth, as Utah shot just 6-19 (32%) in the final twelve minutes.
– Finally, as awesome as the win was, so was this incredible halftime shot by a Hawks season-ticket holder. Forget making them for money, this should be the new contest. You couldn’t replicate that shot if you tried. Not to tow the party line, but good on the Hawks to award the fan the cash when the ball fell through the hoop after getting it unstuck.
The season is full of ups and downs, but I have a feeling this one will give the team a little extra juice as they head back on the road for two games in Washington and Chicago.
What’d you think?