Postgame Thoughts: Hawks Can’t Stop Inside-Outside Game of Portland
A few thoughts after tonight’s 104-93 loss to the Blazers:
- Al Horford continues to have big game after big game. He didn’t shoot the ball well tonight put pulled down 17 rebounds and walked away with 15 points. If a few more make-able shots fall for him, we may be looking at a different score.
- The Blazers hit 9 of 11 three-point attempts in the second half. Of Portland’s 45 first half points, 30 game in the paint. The Hawks clearly wanted to keep the Blazers from getting easy baskets and paid for it in the second half as Portland knocked down threes.
- Kyle Korver, DeShawn Stevenson and Devin Harris all had off shooting nights. Normally one of those three are hot, and tonight they weren’t. It happens. Korver did keep his streak alive though. He now has 62 straight games with at least one made three-pointer.
- Josh Smith scored a team-high 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds.
- How about some of the dunks tonight? The Hawks may not have won, but they sure gave the fans a show. I don’t have the final dunk count, but I know it was double digits.
Tonight would have been a big win for the Hawks to get some momentum going before the four-game road trip next week. It will certainly be a tough trip, and after losing two of three on the homstand, it would be nice to go 2-2 on the road. Three of the four games will come against Eastern Conference playoff teams, so it’s not an easy road ahead.
Photo by Scott Cunningham/NBAE/Getty Images