Hawks Mini-Camp: Day 3
Mike Woodson in the huddle at the end of the scrimmage
Day 3 of Hawks mini-camp at Philips Arena saw two scrimmages, a morning session and then another in the afternoon. Let’s get right to the action:
– John Lucas III spent parts of the last 4 seasons in the NBA (mostly with the Rockets), and watching him today you can tell that he has the talent to play in the League. He played the point for the White team today and was matched most of the time against Hawks rookie Jeff Teague, and they had some pretty good back-and-forth. Teague is lightning quick, but Lucas is no slouch himself, and he acquitted himself very well in both sessions.
– Chris Ellis, former Wake Forest Demon Deacon, is the son of former NBA long-range bomber Dale Ellis, but other than a facial resemblance, the two couldn’t be more different in their games. Dale was a scoring machine from the perimeter, while Chris does his damage inside, and how. He has thrown down some ferocious dunks over the past two days, but has also shown a nice touch out to 15-18 feet as well.
– Othello Hunter continues to show that the work he’s been putting in during the offseason so far is paying off. He has done his normal dirty work on the boards, but has had a couple nice drives inside and has also hit a few Js as well.
– Randolph Morris came on strong during the second day of scrimmaging. Morris has a nice repertoire of offensive moves, but he also showed some aggressiveness around the rim with several follow-up baskets.
– Corey “Homicide” Williams is hopefully getting some rest tonight – he is relentless taking it into the paint, and has hit the deck several times after hard fouls. I think I’m sore just from having watched him.
Limbering up before scrimmaging begins
Jeff Teague guarded by Cenk Akyol
Garrett Siler goes up for a basket against Shawn Taggart
John Lucas III initiates the offense against Lewis Clinch
Homicide takes on Teague
The afternoon scrimmage tips